Choose your Nation to see campaigns near you

The UK transition

Our Transition Hub is designed to support small businesses and the self-employed through information and guidance on the new trading arrangements and procedures in place.

Changes to VAT obligations and the EU settlement scheme

On 1 July 2021, several important changes came into force.

A new frontier worker permit is required by those who work in the UK as a frontier worker. Read more about how to apply.


The UK left the EU single market, customs union and VAT area on 31 December, and from 1 January 2021 the provisions of the UK-EU Trade and Co-operation Agreement (TCA) now apply to trade between the UK and the EU. New rules now apply in areas including trade in goods and services, immigration, and travel.

Under the terms of the Northern Ireland Protocol, Northern Ireland will continue to follow EU single market rules for goods and agriculture, and will continue to apply rules of the EU’s Union Customs Code, this will mean some changes to trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

We will continue to update our Transition Hub to provide information and guidance on the new trading arrangements to help small businesses adapt. We will also continue to signpost you to other practical information to keep you informed and up to date.

What action can I take now?

Check the new rules for doing business with the EU and the actions you can take now with our guides below.

Your questions answered

Your questions answered

Our policy experts answer the top questions small businesses are asking.

Providing services to the EU

Providing services to the EU

Find out what's changed if you provide services to the EU and what action you may need to take.

Find out more

Be data

The rules around data transfers between the UK and EU will change in 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

Check the advice for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland


Find out what you need to consider if your business operates in Scotland.


The latest news and guidance from the Welsh Government

Find out more

N. Ireland

Find out what steps you need to take if you are a Northern Ireland business

Get your Imports and Exports in order

If you are a UK based business who imports from, or exports to, the EU new procedures and additional paperwork is now required. Find out more using the options below.

Hear from<br> the experts

Hear from
the experts

FSB member and MD of Global Freight Anton Gunter answers our questions on what may change for small businesses after 31 December 2020

Customs <br>Declarations


Our guide to what they are, whether you need to complete them and where to find more support.

Find out more

Get started with EU trading

Find step by step guides to importing and exporting goods between the EU and the UK

Living and working in the UK after the transition period

After 31 December 2020 EU citizens and their family members (including non-EU citizens) need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue to live, work and study in the UK. The way you hire from the EU is also changing to a points based immigration scheme. Find out what that means for you and your employees through the links below.

The Frontier Worker Permit Scheme 

The Home Office has launched the new frontier worker permit scheme. This means frontier workers working in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 can now apply for a frontier worker permit.

Find out more

Right to work checks: Hiring from outside the UK in 2021
Article Thu, 07 January 2021

Right to work checks: Hiring from outside the UK in 2021

If you’re employing from outside the UK, learn the steps you need to take to ensure your applicants have the right to work in the UK under new immigration rules, including updated guidance on transitional measures.

How to apply for the frontier worker permit
Article Thu, 07 January 2021

How to apply for the frontier worker permit

From 1 July 2021, a new frontier worker permit is required by those who work in the UK but live abroad. Find out who might need a permit and how to apply with our guide.

How to access specialist immigration support
Article Tue, 15 December 2020

How to access specialist immigration support

FSB members can access free resources and discounted legal support through their FSB membership.

Useful resources

Data Protection <br>in 2021

Data Protection
in 2021

What happens to data security after 31 December 2020 and what can you do to prepare?

Take <br> Action


From green cards to the impact on general insurance, find out what action you can take now to prepare your business’ insurance.

Trade Finance

From keeping your supply chain moving to collecting payments in different currencies with ease, FSB Funding Platform explains how export finance can grow your business.

How can FSB membership help?

Get the money you’re owed

Get the money you’re owed

Take control of your debt with the tools and support you need to get paid. Download free guides, customise template letters and get advice 24/7 from debt recovery specialists.

HR <br>support


FSB members can access free resources and legal support at special discounted rates through market leading immigration specialists to provide all the support you need to retain your existing workforce and to recruit the right people with right skills to grow your business.

We’ve got you covered

We’ve got you covered

From employer’s liability insurance to insuring your exports, our experts at FSB Insurance Service ensure you’ve got the right cover for your business as well as being on hand to answer your questions via their insurance advice line.

You may also be interested in