Information is correct as of 07 January 2021
On 04 January the First Minister announced a new strict lockdown for the Scottish mainland. The new regulations came into force on the 5th January.
Read the full guidance on the Scottish Government website.
Can I leave my home?
During this period, people may only leave their home if they have a reasonable excuse, these include:
- shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
- for work or an activity associated with seeking employment, or to provide voluntary or charitable services, but only where that cannot be done from your home.
- local outdoor recreation, sport or exercise, walking, cycling, golf, or running that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area) as long as you abide by the rules on meeting other households
- seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
- for education including, school, college, university or other essential purposes connected with a course of study.
A full list can be found here.
What does this mean for businesses?
Non-essential retail must close to members of the public but may still operate on a click and collect or delivery basis.
Hospitality venues such as pubs, bars, restaurant and social clubs must close but may still operate on a click and collect or delivery basis.
All holiday accommodation is closed to tourism. Hotels, B&Bs and self-catering can remain open for essential customers only.
The following must also close:
- Leisure and sports facilities
- Entertainment venues
- Close contact retail services, such as hairdressers
- Visitor attractions
- Offices and call centres are advised to work from home where possible
Full details of what businesses must close and what can open can be found here.
What support is there for businesses?
You can find up to date guidance on what support is available and how to apply at https://findbusinesssupport.gov.scot/coronavirus-advice. Businesses required to shut can access financial support through the Strategic Framework Business fund.
The furlough scheme has been extended to April, read our guide to the furlough scheme.
Find advice, support and guidance in your area through our local virtual events.
Find support for your mental health and wellbeing through our wellbeing hub.