Your mental health and wellbeing is always important, especially during these challenging times. Christine Husbands from FSB Care shares tips for how you can look after your mental health.
Download a copy of this checklist as a reminder for yourself, or to share with a friend.
- The first step is to recognise that things are becoming too much for us and acknowledge it.
- Notice small changes in your thoughts, behaviours, emotions e.g. are you feeling overwhelmed by tasks that you usually wouldn’t think twice at, more irritable than usual, are you apprehensive about going out of the house or talking to others? Sometimes it helps to keep a diary of how you feel.
- Often, we feel better after we’ve talked it through with someone, whether it’s with friends, family or an FSB Care nurse.
- Accept that it’s normal to have sad or anxious thoughts, it doesn’t necessarily mean you are mentally unwell
- Practice good self-care by looking after yourself, being kind to yourself and giving yourself a break – give yourself permission to rest.
- Getting active increases serotonin and dopamine whilst decreasing adrenaline and cortisol, which increase during times of stress.
- A good night’s sleep makes our brains more alert, helps our memory and boosts our metabolism.
- Set short-term goals and celebrate the success of achieving those.
- Practice gratitude – be grateful for the positive things in your life and what you’ve achieved.
- Seek help if you need it and appreciate the value of your network.
- Remember, feelings of stress, anxiety and worry are normal reactions to a very difficult time in our lives.
FSB Care are here to guide you if you’re struggling to get the help you need. One of our qualified mental health nurses can provide emotional support, whether it’s talking through your worries, sharing your concerns or answering your questions.
You don’t have to face it alone
Running your own business isn’t always smooth sailing, but when you’re the boss, who can you turn to? Access confidential and long-term support for physical or mental health conditions from FSB Care. We’re here for you.